Piedmont Appalachian Trail Hikers
October Work trip
|Better late than never.
The good news is we had a fun time. The bad news is that USFS has
given us until Dec. 31 to be out of Wytheville. Do not ask where we
are moving to. Come with concrete ideas and places at the November
meeting and be prepared to have a moving trip in November or December.
The following work was completed this trip.
1. Atilla scouted and took pictures of the horse activity at Walker
Gap. Dean definitely needs to paint some blazes from Gap to Shelter
and clean out some water bars.
2. Atilla, Harry and Will scouted and surveyed from O'lystery to Poor
Valley. Atilla went in the short cut and took pictures of the new
USFS gate and the new tank traps. All which we did not know was being
done. Upon further clarification the culprit was found to be the USFS
which proved to be more efficient than we wanted. We had hoped to
get the bridge material in before it was made Wilderness.
3. Atilla, Harry and Will put in two new posts in the meadow south
of 610. I dare a hiker to tell me know that he cannot find the stile
in the meadow.
4. Atilla and gang discovered that the meadow N side of 610 is no
longer being grazed so the grass and weeds are shoulder height. USFS
will mow it from now on or find someone who wants to hay it.
5. Danny and Leah Shields go in on 622 and install several water bars
N of 610.
6. Will & Will and gang are sent in to 644 to put in drainage
ditch S of steps S of Chatfield Shelter. They also install water bars
and do about 70 - 100 feet of side hill in the rhododendron. Worked
in this area both Friday and Saturday.
7. Keith Morgan and Wife sent in S of 86 to find cut water bar material
from last year. Remember Clint said they were too heavy for the gulag
gang of eleven to handle. He was RIGHT!. Atilla leaves his hammock
just in time to make meeting at Konnarock and leaves his workers JILTED.
Keith and a crew finish the work detail on Saturday in time to return
to camp around 1 PM and have cocktails.
8. Atilla and Paul (arriving early - still have to go to work), attend
meeting with NRV, MRNRA, and ATC.
9. ATILLA, David and Doc go hammock site hunting in Crawfish Valley
on the first day of bow hunting season. Of course no one has blaze
orange. Future site of Summerfest activity. Possibly this June if
Bridge and materials are not ready. Bridge will be constructed March
and April at Konnarock and pre assembled. USFS will deliver material
to work site at knot maul creek.
10. Paul and Teresa check out the Winery as possible storage site.
11. Harry and the gang of gulags checked out 670 to Partnership on
Saturday and gave loving ATILLA a beautiful report. On Sunday they
checked out 617 to 42 and did a report.
Last March of 2004 ATC monitored 3 of our sections for trail assessment.
One was Garden Mt, Davis Path to 610 and Partnership to 644. We have
completed the work on Garden Mt. lack to sites from Partnership to
644 and have about a half mile of work on the N side of Gullion which
may be done this June.
The following individuals participated on the work trip.
Mark Stanley - could not find the crew leader - 1
Bill Boudman - 4
Harry Atkins - 4
Michelle Pruit -3
Keith Morgan - 2
Karen Morgan - 2
Dan Kohn - 1
Will Merritt - 2
Barbara Council - 1
Paul Haag - 1
David John - 1
Leah & Danny Shields - 2
Tom Dillon - Could not find him
Steve Coombs - 1
Chris Bracknell - 2
Will Burke - 2
Doc Branham - 2
Steve Yonts - 4
Aubrey Arrington - 1
Home | Newsletter
| Gallery | Activity
Schedule | PATH-List
Copyright © 1998-2005 Piedmont Appalachian Trail Hikers, The
Roberts Group and Rat Dog Web Design.